Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ode to winter...

It is 1 degree right now. O-N-E. This weather is no longer charming. It is doing a number on me. Seeing as there are no sunny vacations in my future and the summer is a distant dream, I am desperate for some relief. Here’s some ideas to mitigate the pain:
  • Take a vinyasa class at CorePower. That hot room feels so good this time of year.
  • Visit a conservatory. Pick a sunny day, find some sunshiny music for your IPod, make your way to the conservatory at the Walker Art Center or Como Park, soak in the humidity, and pretend you are in Costa Rica. We went to the tropical rainforest exhibit at the Como Zoo a few weekends ago and saw a sloth hanging from a tree. Have you seen a sloth lately?
  • Go tanning?? I know… horrible idea. But I did try it last weekend. I felt like I stepped into an episode of a reality show on E --- it was not my usual environment. I spent the entire three minutes in the light bulb coffin freaking out that I was giving myself wrinkles and cancer. But I do have a subtle glow.
  • Get a pedicure. At least your toes can be pretty in yoga class. I highly recommend splurging on the paraffin wax treatment.


  • Try some Ayruvedic skin care. According to a great article on the subject, winter is the season when Vata (one of three “psychophysiological energies” governing our mind and bodies) gets out of wack. It is during these months that we get dry skin, chapped lips, and sluggish. The article suggests using lots of oils to moisturize from the outside and inside as well as eating lots of high water content foods. I am printing this article out and bringing it with me to Whole Foods. I have a date with some almond oil.
  • Go for a walk. I know it is shocking to walk outside this time of year due to the Arctic breezes, but a little air always does your soul good.

2 comments:

Cat Justice said...

you can get a parafin pedicure at "nails nails nails" on 25th and hennepin.

Unknown said...

funny you saw a sloth, Angelina has been into sloths lately. Ask her to show you her sloth impression, it is quite amusing. She had a fantastic time at your house, thanx. Ann